Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIF (embedded if???)

I need help with a sumif. This is what i have: Column B (range 1:5) has
numbers. I would like a formula to say if the numbers are greater than 256,
then add the number greater than 256 minus 256 and then produce a sum of the
"excess".

A B
1 5
2 10
3 300
4 258
5 500
6
7 **** = this should come up with 290 (300-256=44;
500-256=244;258- 256=2

**so far i have =sumif(B1:B5,"256",

Thanks for your help in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look at SUMPRODUCT.

Here's more info: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xlsumproduct.htm
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Daniel Q." wrote:

I need help with a sumif. This is what i have: Column B (range 1:5) has
numbers. I would like a formula to say if the numbers are greater than 256,
then add the number greater than 256 minus 256 and then produce a sum of the
"excess".

A B
1 5
2 10
3 300
4 258
5 500
6
7 **** = this should come up with 290 (300-256=44;
500-256=244;258- 256=2

**so far i have =sumif(B1:B5,"256",

Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=SUMIF(B1:B5,"256")-(COUNTIF(B1:B5,"256")*256)

"Daniel Q." wrote:

I need help with a sumif. This is what i have: Column B (range 1:5) has
numbers. I would like a formula to say if the numbers are greater than 256,
then add the number greater than 256 minus 256 and then produce a sum of the
"excess".

A B
1 5
2 10
3 300
4 258
5 500
6
7 **** = this should come up with 290 (300-256=44;
500-256=244;258- 256=2

**so far i have =sumif(B1:B5,"256",

Thanks for your help in advance.

How to use SUMIF to return sums between two values located in cells ScottBerger Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 23 09:05 PM
How to use SUMIF function with non-adjacent cells KLaw Excel Worksheet Functions 5 October 19th 06 10:15 AM
Sumif of Sumif perhaps? Fred Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 March 29th 06 05:39 PM
SUMIF Ferg Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 28th 06 03:37 AM
SUMIF with Mutiple Ranges & Criteria PokerZan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 August 4th 05 10:31 PM