Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default check for two blank cells before populating a 3rd.

I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(COUNTBLANKS(A1:B1)=2,"",A1+1)

Enter in C1

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"slinger" wrote:

I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You had some problems with parentheses and inconsistent use of $s but, more
importantly, you need OR not AND.
IF A or B is blank then C is blank
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(B1)),"",A1+1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"slinger" wrote in message
I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if
A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain
information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should be: =IF(COUNTBLANK(A1:B1)=2,"",A1+1)

Also the formula you use below is almost correct. If you want to use that
format then try this: =IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1),(ISBLANK(B1)),"",$A1+1)

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" wrote:

=IF(COUNTBLANKS(A1:B1)=2,"",A1+1)

Enter in C1

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"slinger" wrote:

I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

if A1, or B1 is blank

Does blank mean EMPTY?

One way:

=IF(OR(A1="",B1=""),"",A1+1)

Biff

"slinger" wrote in message
I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if
A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain
information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It looks like you would want to use OR instead of AND.

=IF(OR(ISBLANK($A1),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",$A1+1)

However, as I recall from reading other posts re charting, I believe you
would want to return #n/a instead of null, so try changing "" in the formula
to na()

=IF(OR(ISBLANK($A1),(ISBLANK(B1))),NA(),$A1+1)

Also, if the blanks are results of formulas, try changing isblank(a1) to a1=
""

=IF(OR($A1 = "",B1 = ""),NA(),$A1+1)
--
Kevin Vaughn

"slinger" wrote:

I'm trying to do a chart using dates. I would like to set it so that if A1,
or B1 is blank, then C1 is also blank. If BOTH A1 and B1 contain information,
then C1 = A1 + 1.

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1)),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",($A1)+1

I have also tried a few other things, all of which don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Also note that if a formula returns an empty string (e.g let A2 have the
formula =IF(A15,A1,"") )
then function ISBLANK(A2) will always be FALSE no mater what A2 displays.
But =COUNTBLANK(A2) will be 1 if the IF fails.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme