Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default counting numbers not formulas

I need to count the number of people who have donated to my fundraiser. If
they have already donated, the amount is displayed in a "Total donations"
column that adds up multiple donations from across the row. If they haven't
donated yet, there is a formula in that cell. No cell is blank and all the
formulas I try won't count just the cells with a dollar amount. Where am I
going wrong?

Thanks,

Kit
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If they haven't donated yet what do you have in the cell, a zero or a blank?
If it's the latter perhaps you can just use

=COUNT(range)

or for the former

=COUNTIF(range,"0")

"Kit M" wrote:

I need to count the number of people who have donated to my fundraiser. If
they have already donated, the amount is displayed in a "Total donations"
column that adds up multiple donations from across the row. If they haven't
donated yet, there is a formula in that cell. No cell is blank and all the
formulas I try won't count just the cells with a dollar amount. Where am I
going wrong?

Thanks,

Kit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

excuse me again dllegs....Hey kit....First time I heard of donations being
sourced by a formula...Isnt it that donation is US$____. based on what the
donator can friendly afford for a fundraising....just curious....hope u dont
mind to share with me that formula....

"Kit M" wrote:

I need to count the number of people who have donated to my fundraiser. If
they have already donated, the amount is displayed in a "Total donations"
column that adds up multiple donations from across the row. If they haven't
donated yet, there is a formula in that cell. No cell is blank and all the
formulas I try won't count just the cells with a dollar amount. Where am I
going wrong?

Thanks,

Kit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula is just the adding up the sum of the incremental donations;
actually, it's just a simple =C102+F102+I102+L102+O102. Sorry, no monopoly
on getting donors to fork it over.....

The problem is that the COUNT function, along with its various permutations,
seems to want to count the formula. If no one has donated, the cell
"appears" blank in the worksheet. After they've donated once or twice, I see
how much they've given. I just want to track how many have given. I don't
want to count the cells with just the formula.

Daddylonglegs, your suggestion gave a result of "3/4", whatever that means.
(FYI, there are 116 people in this worksheet and roughly half have given.)
Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Kit

"Kit M" wrote:

I need to count the number of people who have donated to my fundraiser. If
they have already donated, the amount is displayed in a "Total donations"
column that adds up multiple donations from across the row. If they haven't
donated yet, there is a formula in that cell. No cell is blank and all the
formulas I try won't count just the cells with a dollar amount. Where am I
going wrong?

Thanks,

Kit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, I tried the COUNTIF formula again and this time it worked like a charm.
Murphy's Law? Did I mention I was Murphy?

Anyway, thanks much for you help.

Kit