-   -   Conditional Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/115281-conditional-formatting.html)

Rosemary

Conditional Formatting

Hello,

Can you copy conditional formatting down a column, and have it change the
cell references like it does with regular formulas?

Cell P2 changes formatting depending on the value of cell I2; Cell P3
changes formatting depending on the value of cell I3; etc.

I set up the conditional formatting in P2, and when I copy the formatting
down the column, the cell reference doesn't change from I2 to I3, I4, etc.
It stays I2.

Thanks,

txilya

Conditional Formatting

Hi Rosemary,

When referring to I2 in conditional formatting for P2, change $I$2 to $I2 or
I2.

Ilya

"Rosemary" wrote:

Hello,

Can you copy conditional formatting down a column, and have it change the
cell references like it does with regular formulas?

Cell P2 changes formatting depending on the value of cell I2; Cell P3
changes formatting depending on the value of cell I3; etc.

I set up the conditional formatting in P2, and when I copy the formatting
down the column, the cell reference doesn't change from I2 to I3, I4, etc.
It stays I2.

Thanks,

Dave Peterson

Conditional Formatting

What did you use in your formula? i2 or $i$2 or i$2 or $i2

Make sure you didn't use $i$2 or i$2.

and you can select P2:P(whatever) and apply the conditional formatting all at
once. But still use the relative reference (i2).

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Conditional Formatting

Yes

When you enter the CFFormula is: make sure Excel doesn't help by placing $ sign
in the row reference.

You will have to edit out the $ sign if you point to the cell when adding the
CFFormula is:

If typed, you have control.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:31:02 -0700, Rosemary
wrote:

Hello,

Can you copy conditional formatting down a column, and have it change the
cell references like it does with regular formulas?

Cell P2 changes formatting depending on the value of cell I2; Cell P3
changes formatting depending on the value of cell I3; etc.

I set up the conditional formatting in P2, and when I copy the formatting
down the column, the cell reference doesn't change from I2 to I3, I4, etc.
It stays I2.

Thanks,

Rosemary

Conditional Formatting