Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF function which can find a blank cell

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet like the following:

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
213
212 24
213 7
214
215
216 12

What I need is a formula which can look into cell b2, and if it finds a
blank cell, return the value in cell A2, if it finds a value in cell B2 then
return that value.
How do I ask the if function to look for a blank cell?
Thanks for youe help.

Owl37

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try: =IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2)
--
Two heads are better than one!

Email: subst1tut3 numb3rs for l3tt3rs...

"owl37" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet like the following:

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
213
212 24
213 7
214
215
216 12

What I need is a formula which can look into cell b2, and if it finds a
blank cell, return the value in cell A2, if it finds a value in cell B2 then
return that value.
How do I ask the if function to look for a blank cell?
Thanks for youe help.

Owl37

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this in C2:

=IF(B2="",A2,B2)

then copy the formula down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

owl37 wrote:
Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet like the following:

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
213
212 24
213 7
214
215
216 12

What I need is a formula which can look into cell b2, and if it finds a
blank cell, return the value in cell A2, if it finds a value in cell B2 then
return that value.
How do I ask the if function to look for a blank cell?
Thanks for youe help.

Owl37

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jon,
You were right, That has worked perfectly, thank you so much.

"Jon von der Heyden" wrote:

Hi

Try: =IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2)
--

"owl37" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet like the following:

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
213
212 24
213 7
214
215
216 12

What I need is a formula which can look into cell b2, and if it finds a
blank cell, return the value in cell A2, if it finds a value in cell B2 then
return that value.
How do I ask the if function to look for a blank cell?
Thanks for youe help.

Owl37

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

owl37 wrote:
Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet like the following:

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
213
212 24
213 7
214
215
216 12

What I need is a formula which can look into cell b2, and if it finds a
blank cell, return the value in cell A2, if it finds a value in cell B2 then
return that value.
How do I ask the if function to look for a blank cell?
Thanks for youe help.

Owl37

There are two different types of "blank" that you need to consider. Is
the cell truly blank (ie. nothing there) or is there a formula that
returns blank. If you want to consider the second case or both cases
you could say:

=IF(B2="",A2,B2)

If you are looking for cells that only consider the first case:

=IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2)

Edward