Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

Default How to get the leading zero's added in a document

hi
i have a document which is added with leading Zero's in some of the
columns

for eg., in the ZIPCODE column my value is 09281 but in the display i am
getting it

as 9281. But i want it with the original value. Can anyone tell me how to
get the

original values

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"sam" wrote in message
hi
i have a document which is added with leading Zero's in some of the
columns

for eg., in the ZIPCODE column my value is 09281 but in the display i am
getting it

as 9281. But i want it with the original value. Can anyone tell me how to
get the

original values

Sam,

Most people don't use zip codes in calculations, so in Excel they might as
well be text that just look like numbers.

So...

Format/Cells/Text

or

Format/Cells/Custom/00000

HTHelps

Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well that did not post right... Try this for a custom format.

[99999] 0000-00000;00000

it will pad zeros and it will format bot 5 and 9 digit zips correctly...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote: