Larry Heine

Default Display contents of a specific cell even if a group of cells is mo

In one cell, I want to display the contents of another cell which is part of
a range of cells which contain a list that is constantly being rearranged
(resorted, draged, new data inserted, etc.). Everything I've tried (including
absolute references) results in the display cell pointing to the same data as
the range of cells changes.

Thanks!
Peo Sjoblom

Use INDIRECT

=INDIRECT("'Sheet2'!A1")

will always return what's in A1 in Sheet2

Peo Sjoblom

"Larry Heine" wrote in message
In one cell, I want to display the contents of another cell which is part

of
a range of cells which contain a list that is constantly being rearranged
(resorted, draged, new data inserted, etc.). Everything I've tried

(including
absolute references) results in the display cell pointing to the same data

as
the range of cells changes.

Thanks!

Ken Wright

Do you mean refer to say A20 even if A20 is dragged away, your reference
continues to look at A20?

=INDIRECT("A20")

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Larry Heine" wrote in message
In one cell, I want to display the contents of another cell which is part

of
a range of cells which contain a list that is constantly being rearranged
(resorted, draged, new data inserted, etc.). Everything I've tried

(including
absolute references) results in the display cell pointing to the same data

as
the range of cells changes.

Thanks!

Art

You could try the following:

Suppose your target cell is C5. I'm assuming that you always want C5, not
where the data in C5 may move to.

Try using offset(A1,4,2)

The 4 is how many rows away C5 is from A1.
The 2 is how many columns away C5 is from A1.

Art

"Larry Heine" wrote:

In one cell, I want to display the contents of another cell which is part of
a range of cells which contain a list that is constantly being rearranged
(resorted, draged, new data inserted, etc.). Everything I've tried (including
absolute references) results in the display cell pointing to the same data as
the range of cells changes.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display contents of a specific cell even if a group of cells i

What if you want to follow the contents of cell C5 if it moves to a new
position due to a sort??