Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Reference closed files in formula

Hi,
I am trying to link to different files in the same folder. I have wrote
in a cell the name of the file that I want to link to and the used the
formula =INDIRECT("'[" & G5 & "]" & "Data'!B26") which means that
whatever file name I type in G5, the formula will return the value in
cell B26 from that file.

The only problem is that the INDIRECT formula only works when the
filename in question is open. Is there another formula I can use that
does the same job, but can reference closed files? I have about 80
files to reference so obviously don't want to keep them all open!

Thank you.

Simon