-   -   Removing dashes from ISBN's while still keeping 1st number (zero) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/114131-removing-dashes-isbns-while-still-keeping-1st-number-zero.html)

aprilb

Removing dashes from ISBN's while still keeping 1st number (zero)

I have imported a list of ISBN's ( SKU) numbers into a spreadsheet so that I
may remove the dashes in between the 10 digit number. When I use the find
function in Excel, the dashes are removed. Unfortunately, along with the
dashes, the first digit of the ISBN is removed as well. This probably has
something to do with the fact that most ISBN's start with the number 0. Is
there any way I can remove the dashes quickly while keeping the 0's?

Toppers

Removing dashes from ISBN's while still keeping 1st number (zero)

Try:

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""),"0000000000")

HTH

"aprilb" wrote:

I have imported a list of ISBN's ( SKU) numbers into a spreadsheet so that I
may remove the dashes in between the 10 digit number. When I use the find
function in Excel, the dashes are removed. Unfortunately, along with the
dashes, the first digit of the ISBN is removed as well. This probably has
something to do with the fact that most ISBN's start with the number 0. Is
there any way I can remove the dashes quickly while keeping the 0's?

Ron Rosenfeld

Removing dashes from ISBN's while still keeping 1st number (zero)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:35:02 -0700, aprilb
wrote:

I have imported a list of ISBN's ( SKU) numbers into a spreadsheet so that I
may remove the dashes in between the 10 digit number. When I use the find
function in Excel, the dashes are removed. Unfortunately, along with the
dashes, the first digit of the ISBN is removed as well. This probably has
something to do with the fact that most ISBN's start with the number 0. Is
there any way I can remove the dashes quickly while keeping the 0's?

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""),"0000000000")

--ron

Teethless mama

Removing dashes from ISBN's while still keeping 1st number (zero)

Edit Replace
Find what:-
Replace with:leave it blank
Click Replace All