Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jen Jen is offline

Default drop down box

I made a drop down box, how do i get the border to include the down arrow so
that is showing at all times even when the cell isnt highlighted?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like you used Data|Validation to create this dropdown?

If yes, maybe you could add a shape to that cell (from the drawing toolbar).

I just give those cells with data|validation a different fill color (I like
light yellow).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jen Jen is offline

Hey Dave!
I used the Data/Validation to create it...
However, I want to show the arrow at all times rather than just the
highlight....
quick reference... when you are on a website... you always know which
answers have the drop down without clicking them first...
is this possible?
Also, I want to make a column with selector boxes that allow you to
uncheck/check them depending on the status of the task... do you have any
suggestions?
Thank you!

Jen wrote:

I made a drop down box, how do i get the border to include the down arrow so
that is showing at all times even when the cell isnt highlighted?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

#1. You could use a dropdown from the Forms toolbar or a combobox from the
Control toolbox toolbar. But you won't see the dropdown with data|Validation.

#2. I'd just use a cell with a nice format:

I find this technique pretty easy...

Select the range
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

=======
But you could use a checkbox from either the Forms toolbar or the control
toolbox toolbar.