Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Why MS Excel produce diffrent result for the function "Quartile"

I am wondering why Ms Excel produce diffrent result for the Statistical
funtion "Quartile"
e.g

Data
1
2
4
7
8
9
10
12
=QUARTILE(A2:A9,1)
First quartile (25th percentile) of the data above is (3.5), but it should
be 2.5.

Kindly help me in solving this issue

Regards,

Nadeem Shafique

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How do you get 2.5 as the first quartile? 3.5 seems correct to me.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nadeem Shafique Butt" wrote:

I am wondering why Ms Excel produce diffrent result for the Statistical
funtion "Quartile"
e.g

Data
1
2
4
7
8
9
10
12
=QUARTILE(A2:A9,1)
First quartile (25th percentile) of the data above is (3.5), but it should
be 2.5.

Kindly help me in solving this issue

Regards,

Nadeem Shafique

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There are several competing approaches to calculating quantiles from sample
data. Excel uses the one that takes the sample max and min to the 0th and
100th percentiles and equally spaces intervening quantiles. This is a
reasonable description of the sample, but is almost certainly biased as an
estimate of the underlying population quantiles. For more details see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1542dcddb69d4e
and the articles referenced in that thread.

Jerry

VBA Monty Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 30th 06 01:37 PM
I NEED HELP with the SPELLNUMBER Function vag Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 21st 05 08:17 AM
Amount or Numbers in Words ron New Users to Excel 6 December 24th 04 07:32 PM
Is there a formula to spell out a number in excel? Sha-nay-nay Excel Worksheet Functions 2 December 18th 04 09:25 PM