Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default First initial + Last Name in external imported data

I've created a "Report" sheet that picks data from a "Data" sheet in the same
xls file. The "Data" sheet uses "Import External Data" from a CSV file dumped
from MLS data.

On my report sheet how can I create a column of first initial + space + last
name from column DK on the "Data" sheet which = First+Space+Last names as
imported from the CSV file??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On your report sheet, assuming name of sheet importing data is "Data" put
this formula where you want shortened name to show up:

=LEFT('Data'!DK1,1) & " " & RIGHT('Data'!DK1,LEN('Data'!DK1)-FIND("
",'Data'!DK1))

This will work as long as format on the Data sheet is as you described, a
middle name or initial would mess it up. Change "DK1" to whatever row your
information starts on on the Data sheet.