Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default enter formula once for entire column

I would like to be able enter a formula once and have it applied if there is
data in a cell in that coulmn. I need to do a vlookup on sheet ABC and
return a value from column A. I then need to look for a corresponding entry
in sheet XYZ and return the matching values in column B & C.

Sheets ABC and XYZ will have 90% matches in column A but they will be an
undeterming length. There may be 20 entries or 420. Is there a way to enter
the formula in column B & C once and have the calc done whenever there is an
entry in the corresponding cell in column A?

Sheet ABC will have a list of computer names from Active Directory, sheet
XYZ will have a list from an application with matching computer name plus
version and last heartbeat.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use an IF statement, checking for the value on column A. For
example, if your option on A is a value or nothing, you can use something
like this on columns B and C:
=IF(A1<"",VLOOKUP(...),"")

This will make the required VLOOKUP only if there is some data on column A,
leaving the cell blank otherwise.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.