Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can you use CountA to add multiple items within one cell?

I need to be able to count items in a column, but also have it add multiple
items with in one cell. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTA(A1:A100),"A")+COUNTA(A1:A100,"B")
to count how many As and Bs in the range ?
Or is the question something else?
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Teacher in a quandry" <Teacher in a
wrote in message ...
I need to be able to count items in a column, but also have it add multiple
items with in one cell. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Your details are a little vague, but something like this would count the
number of "j"'s and "f"'s that occur in C5:C6

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(C5:C6)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C5:C6,{"j","f"},"")))

so if you had
jeff
joe

you would get 3. If you don't get a solution that works for you, perhaps an
example of your data and expected results may help.

"Teacher in a quandry" wrote:

I need to be able to count items in a column, but also have it add multiple
items with in one cell. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:A100,{"A","B"}))