Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula to auto populate zip when city is typed in Excel

I have a data base with multiple small cities, they each have only one zip
code, and I would like it if there is a formula that would auto populate the
zip i.e. If C4=Montrose then C5=84070.
Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am sorry I thought this answered my question, but I guess I need a more
detailed answer. What does the "","", represent in this formula, and when I
name the city's and zip's do I name them individually or in a range? And when
I name them do I define or create, Sorry I haven't used formulas for so long
I've forgotten everything.

The following is exactly what I need to do:
If C1=Montrose then the zip will be 81401 if C1=Delta then the zip is 81416
if Olathe then the zip is 81425.

I am not sure if this is possible, but I hope so. Thank you for your help
Kelli

"coloradio" wrote in message
I have a data base with multiple small cities, they each have only one zip
code, and I would like it if there is a formula that would auto populate
the
zip i.e. If C4=Montrose then C5=84070.
Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The first bit of the formula that begins =IF(C4="","",...
says that if C4 is empty, the output will be empty, otherwise use the
VLOOKUP function.

For the range named Zipcodes, put your city names in the first column, and
the zip codes in the second, then select the whole table (both column), &
name the range with Insert/ Name/ Define ...

note also that Kassie's formula needs an extra parenthesis at the end
=IF(C4="","",VLOOKUP(C4,ZipCodes,2,FALSE))
--
David Biddulph