Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default skip errors in an average

I'm trying to get an average of a series of averages. Some of the cells in
the series have a 0/div error, which is ok for the series. I can't get the
average of the averages formula to ignore the error cells. Here's what I'm
trying:
=AVERAGEif(M3:M58,"<0").
Can anyone point out the simple solution that I'm overlooking?
Thanks!
Tammie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually I spoke too soon, and learned something in the process! I guess
when a formula is array entered it *doesn't* ignore blank cells. Change to
this to fix:

=AVERAGE(IF(ISERROR(A1:A15)+ISBLANK(A1:A15),"",A1: A15))

Sorry!
Dave

"tamiluchi" wrote:

I'm trying to get an average of a series of averages. Some of the cells in
the series have a 0/div error, which is ok for the series. I can't get the
average of the averages formula to ignore the error cells. Here's what I'm
trying:
=AVERAGEif(M3:M58,"<0").
Can anyone point out the simple solution that I'm overlooking?
Thanks!
Tammie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I thought it should, but for some reason it's counting my blank cells.
I manipulated it to show each average in my series as 100% so that I could
figure out what the problem was. I have 2 error cells and 8 100% cells. I'm
getting 15% as my overall average so it has to be counting the blank cells.
Right?

"tamiluchi" wrote:

I'm trying to get an average of a series of averages. Some of the cells in
the series have a 0/div error, which is ok for the series. I can't get the
average of the averages formula to ignore the error cells. Here's what I'm
trying:
=AVERAGEif(M3:M58,"<0").
Can anyone point out the simple solution that I'm overlooking?
Thanks!
Tammie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

no problem, happy to help.