Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I get speed given time (hh:mm:ss) and distance in Excel?

I have marathon times in hh:mm:ss format and want to get the miles/hour
speed, where miles is 26.2. How do I do that? I have Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In Excel, time is a fraction of a day. So each hour is 1/24 of a day. To get
hours from a time, multiply by 24. If your time is in A1, the formula is:

=26.2/(a1*24)

or more accurately, as a marathon is actually 26 miles, 385 yards:

=(26+385/1760)/(a1*24)

Fred