Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting to show 0 as first number in a cell when input

How do I format a cell so it automatically shows a 0 as the first digit when
I input a numeric value insted of using the ' prefix? The cell is used for
order numbers which can begin with a 0
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One way ..
Assuming its a 5 digit series (00000)
Select the col,
Click Format Cells Number tab
Choose Custom, type: 00000
Click OK
--
Max
Singapore
"triffidbook" wrote:
How do I format a cell so it automatically shows a 0 as the first digit when
I input a numeric value insted of using the ' prefix? The cell is used for
order numbers which can begin with a 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In the line:
Choose Custom, type: 00000

Just adjust the number of zeros to suit, of course
(you could try using just: 00 for example)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"triffidbook" wrote in message
How do I format a cell so it automatically shows a 0 as the first digit
when
I input a numeric value insted of using the ' prefix? The cell is used
for
order numbers which can begin with a 0

Format the cell as text prior to entering the data.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

You're welcome. Do note the subtle difference: David's method changes the
source numbers to text while my suggestion preserves it as numbers.