Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMPRODUCT returning incorrect result

Hi,

I'm using sumproduct and also index, match formulas/function with correct
result in some area of my workbook, but with incorrect result in another area
of the workbook.
When I use:
SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet1!col1=sheet2$bw$9)*(sheet1!col2=sheet2$A11) *........(sheet1col6)) I only get a zero '0' back.

When I use:
SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet1!col1=sheet2$bw$9)--(sheet1!col2=sheet2$A11)--........(sheet1col6))
I get the total for the entire column (col6) instead of the subtotal that
matches those 4 criteria.
I also tried INDEX(sheet1col6), MATCH(................)) But this one grab
only the value on the first row instead of summing up 10 or more rows.

All 4 columns on sheet1 are formatted as text (imported from Access), while
col6 as number and they match same format on sheet2. Like I said, both
formulas working fine on different data, but not here. I just couldn't figure
it out. I have tried copying a blank cell and do paste special/add but it
didn't help either. Any direction on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
--
when u change the way u look @ things, the things u look at change.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Note that SUMPRODUCT doesn't work with complete columns, you have to specify
a range.

And all sheets are terminated by a ! to show it is a sheet name

SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet1!A1:A1000=sheet2!$bw$9)*(sheet1!b1:B1000=sh eet2!$A11)*..
.......(sheet1!F1:F1000))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, I'm aware of that. Actually all my ranges are from: A2:A20500,
B2:B20500, etc. Just for the sake of typing I included col1, col2, etc. To
avoid making mistake, I usually click on the sheet tab that I would like to
get the data from, so all of them do have '!' after the name. Like I said the
formula does return value, just not the correct value.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well my experience with SP is that if the answer is wrong, you either made a
mistake in the formula, or the data is wrong. There is insufficient
information to elaborate any further.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for trying.

I went through the formula with the fine-tooth comb, letter by letter, and
digit by digit. All look good. It's most likely has to do with the data, but
I have checked it more than 6 times.
May be someone who has gone through a similar situation can shed some light
on how to tackle this.

Thanks.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If you want to mail me a copy of the sheet direct, I will take a look to
see if I can spot what is wrong.
Omit NOSPAM from my address to mail direct.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's the formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Cuts!$A$2:$A$22444=Model!$C$8)*(Cuts!$B$2:$B$2244 4=Model!$A11)*(Cuts!$C$2:$C$22444=Model!$B11)*(Cut s!$H$2:$H$22444=Model!$C$9)*(Cuts!$F$2:$F$22444)).
Columns: A, B, C, and H are formatted as 'text' while Column F is number,
and they match their corresponding cells in the 'Model' sheet. The data in
the 'Cuts' sheet has been imported into Excel from Business Objects. The same
formula is working on data that has been imported from MS Access, but not on
this. Currently i'm getting '#N/A' even though there's data the matches the
criteria above, but the formula can't get it.

Thanks.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try breaking the formula down into the 5 constituent parts and see which
is returning the error e.g.
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Cuts!$A$2:$A$22444=Model!$C$8))

Then, if it is one of the Text ones, try doing
=LEN(cell) where cell is the cell containing data being matched, from
Model, and on one of the cells you think should match from Cuts.
You may find there are extra spaces or hidden Non-breaking spaces
Char(160) in the data that has been imported.

David McRitchie has a TRIMALL function on his site that is useful for
cleaning up data
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Note that SUMPRODUCT doesn't work with complete columns, you
have
specify
a range.

And all sheets are terminated by a ! to show it is a sheet
name

SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet1!A1:A1000=sheet2!$bw$9)*(sheet1!b1:B1000=sh eet2!$A11)*..
.......(sheet1!F1:F1000))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing
direct)

"sahafi" wrote in message

[...]

IF function returning incorrect result Hillary E. Excel Worksheet Functions 2 August 22nd 06 05:43 PM
Adding "and" to Spellnumber code Ken G. Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 10 July 22nd 06 12:53 PM
how to use spellnumber formula Aarif Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 27th 06 04:36 PM
VBA Monty Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 30th 06 01:37 PM
Amount or Numbers in Words ron New Users to Excel 6 December 24th 04 07:32 PM