Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cell Calculation

I am setting up a input sheet for fees.
I have two cells side by side: one where a dollar amount will be entered
and the other with a drop menu. I need for the dollar amounts to be
calculated based on the drop down item chosen. For example, if the dollar
amount is a financed fee, I need it to autmoatically calculate in an separate
cell called financed fees.
I think this may be an IF function but I am note sure.
Can someone help me?!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In its simplest sense, an IF should work. Depends on how many choices you
need to make about the calculated fee in a single cell.

Assuming a specific cell for Finance Fee that needs to be calculated when
"Financed" is chosen from the drop down: $ amount in A1, dropdown in B1,
Finance Fee to be calculated in C1, then in C1:
=IF(B1="Financed",A1 * .01,0)
would calculate a 1% fee on amount in A1 if Financed chosen, or zero if not.

You can even nest IF statements like this:
=IF(B1="Financed",A1 * .01,IF(B1="Vehicle Loan",A1 * .015,0))
That can be carried to a maximum of 7 nested functions. But it gets
unwieldy if the rates or calculations change often and if you have a lot of
options in the drop down, then you may be better off looking at a table to
use a VLOOKUP() formula with.

"Kasey" wrote:

I am setting up a input sheet for fees.
I have two cells side by side: one where a dollar amount will be entered
and the other with a drop menu. I need for the dollar amounts to be
calculated based on the drop down item chosen. For example, if the dollar
amount is a financed fee, I need it to autmoatically calculate in an separate
cell called financed fees.
I think this may be an IF function but I am note sure.
Can someone help me?!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'll try an example to see if what I'm thinking is close to what you have?

A B C
1 50 Financed =SUMIF(B1:B8,"Financed",A1:A8) (will be 203)
2 5
3 10 Financed
4 38
5 55 Financed
6 60 Financed
7 104
8 28 Financed

Or perhaps it is laid out like this?
A B C
1 Financed =SUMIF(B11:B18,B1,A11:A18) (will be 203)
....other stuff between rows 2 and 10...
11 50 Financed
12 5 Not Financed
13 10 Financed
14 38 Cash
15 55 Financed
16 60 Financed
17 104 Gift
18 28 Financed

In this second one, you would choose from a list in B1 and the value in C1
would change based on matching B1 to something in B11:B18.