Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Permutation combinations and multiplying them

hi,
Although i understand permutations i cant find a quick and easy way to
multiply all the combinations for a permuation. Doing it long hand works but
is time consuming as i currently have 2 rows with a total of 165
combinations.

In row 1 i have 10 numbers, perming 8 from 10 giving me 45 combinations,
perming 7 from 10 giving me 120 combinations

Is there an easy way to multiply these combinations.

My 10 numbers are in C1:L1 and each permutation is to be multiplied and
then multiplied again by B2.

I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have 10 numbers C1:L1
i.e. 5 , 2 , 3 , 6 , 7 , 8, 2 , 12 , 52, 19
Perming any 8 of these numbers and multiplying them together gives me a
total of 45 multiplications.
i.e. 5*2*3*6*7*8*2*12 =241920 is 1
2*3*6*7*8*2*12*52 =2515968 is a 2nd

There are 45 of these to do so is there a formula to calculate these
permutations by just entering the original 10 numbers? I cant write VB.

oups.com...

Phil wrote:
hi,
Although i understand permutations i cant find a quick and easy way to
multiply all the combinations for a permuation. Doing it long hand works
but
is time consuming as i currently have 2 rows with a total of 165
combinations.

In row 1 i have 10 numbers, perming 8 from 10 giving me 45 combinations,
perming 7 from 10 giving me 120 combinations

Is there an easy way to multiply these combinations.

My 10 numbers are in C1:L1 and each permutation is to be multiplied and
then multiplied again by B2.

I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Phil,
E-mail me [ toppers<atjohntopley.fsnet.co.uk] and I'll send you a
workbook with a permutation/combination macro.

Phil wrote:
hi,
Although i understand permutations i cant find a quick and easy way to
multiply all the combinations for a permuation. Doing it long hand works
but
is time consuming as i currently have 2 rows with a total of 165
combinations.

In row 1 i have 10 numbers, perming 8 from 10 giving me 45 combinations,
perming 7 from 10 giving me 120 combinations

Is there an easy way to multiply these combinations.

My 10 numbers are in C1:L1 and each permutation is to be multiplied and
then multiplied again by B2.

I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perming any 8 of these numbers and multiplying them together gives me a
total of 45 multiplications.
i.e. 5*2*3*6*7*8*2*12 =241920 is 1
2*3*6*7*8*2*12*52 =2515968 is a 2nd

Sounds like you are asking for "Subsets" of size 8.
I suppose you could cheat a little here.
All subsets of numbers will be the same, except for 2 numbers.
The simple idea here would be to take each "subset" of size "2" and divide
it into your constant.

Sub Demo()
Dim v, m, j, k

v = Array(5, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 2, 12, 52, 19)
m = WorksheetFunction.Product(v)
For j = 0 To 8
For k = j + 1 To 9
Debug.Print m / (v(j) * v(k))