Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sem Sem is offline

Default require cell to edit

Hello,

I'm actually working on Excel questionnaires. So I have lots of questions
that need to be filled in the correct order. I would like to lock or disable
every next cells until the previous answer is not filled. If possible without
using Macros or VBA

Thank you very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use custom validation. Data - Validation - Custom

In the formula add something like the cell above < "" (for example
highlight cells A2:A10 and add validation =A1<"". Be sure to uncheck ignore
blanks.

This means that the cell above the current cell must be filled in before you
can fill in the current cell. First A1 then A2 then A3...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Sem" wrote:

Hello,

I'm actually working on Excel questionnaires. So I have lots of questions
that need to be filled in the correct order. I would like to lock or disable
every next cells until the previous answer is not filled. If possible without
using Macros or VBA

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sem Sem is offline

Thanks for the answer, this solve the main part of the problem. The only
remaining problem is that I already used validation to provide in-cell
drop-down lists for some question, so I think this is not possible to use
those 2 validation types at the same time. Is there another way to do that?
Or maybe another way to provide the drop down list? As I said in the first
question, I wouldn't like to use VB controls.