Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculation vs formula

On one worksheet/tab the formula =len(a1) is being written in the cell- I
want it to calculate the length of cell a1. In another worksheet/tab (same
file) the formula calculates correctly. Can you tell me why the formula is
being written in the cell on one tab and/or how I can modify the options to
calculate the formula vs writing it?
Thanks
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Steve

Sounds like the cell is pre-formatted as text so shows the formula rather than
the result.

Re-format to General then F2 and <Enter

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:13:02 -0700, Steve Stad
wrote:

On one worksheet/tab the formula =len(a1) is being written in the cell- I
want it to calculate the length of cell a1. In another worksheet/tab (same
file) the formula calculates correctly. Can you tell me why the formula is
being written in the cell on one tab and/or how I can modify the options to
calculate the formula vs writing it?
Thanks
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The cell was formatted to Text *before* the formula was entered.

You'll have to change the format to General or Number, and then re-enter the
formula.

Keyboard shortcut to do all this is:
Select the cell, then,
<Ctrl <Shift < ~ ,