Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Referencing other workbook.

I know how to set up a formula in my workbook to include data from
another workbook in the formula. However as soon as I give this
workbook to someone else, the path is different. Is there some way to
allow for this difference in the path if someone uses my workbook on
their computer, or do I need to set up a macro to run some VB to find
the file and update my workbook formula accordingly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am assuming that all of the computers involved are networked or have access
to some central net-accessible location?
What you want to do is establish the final location of the workbook you are
passing out as a network address vs a local location. Have the other users
work with that workbook from that location.
This should give you an idea of what I mean:
Open two workbooks, Book1 and Book2
type something into a cell in Book 2 and then establish a link to it back
in Book1
Use File | Save As to save book to a network accessible location, could be a
shared folder on your system, their system, or a file server in between. BUT
instead of saving it using anything like a mapped drive letter, find the
location using My Network Places. Once it's been saved, close it and look at
the link address in Book1, it should look something like
='\\Antec\documents\[Book2.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1

As long as the other user uses Book2 from that location and that location
remains accessible to your system, your workbook will be able to update just
as it would from any linked-to workbook on your own system.

If this is not feasible, yes you could work up some VB code to try to find
the new location of the file and alter your links accordingly, but that could
be a tedious process.