Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default simply function not work

Dear all,

Today I have try to use function, but it doesn't work. The function I used
is quite simple: =A3 & B3. But the cell shows the function itself instead of
the result.

Besides, I have checked that tools=options=calculate, the "automatical"
one is checked.

Why the function still doesn't work? Could anybody show me the way?

Thanks,
Viesta
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Viesta,

Try ToolsOptionsView tab and uncheck formulas in the
window options section.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Viesta,

Was the cell preformatted to text before you entered your formula?
Try deleting the cell, reformat it to general, then enter your formula
again.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Martin,

I think you have found the reason, cause I have tested the function with
other columns which are predefined as "General", but it still not work with
those two columns, which are predefined as "text", though I changed back them
to "General", it still doesn't work with functions.

For these problem, do you have any more good idea, which let me keep cell
formats as "Text"?

BR
Viesta

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Viesta,

Was the cell preformatted to text before you entered your formula?
Try deleting the cell, reformat it to general, then enter your formula
again.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Viesta,

I'm afraid you are starting to confuse me.
I think your problem is that you are trying to reformat the cells
after you have entered your formulas. In this instance I think
you should be formatting all your cells before you do anything.
If this is not the case please explain your problem in more detail.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,

I have re-formatted those cells. after it, I key-in the function in an empty
cell. but it doesn't work.

BR
Viesta

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Viesta,

I'm afraid you are starting to confuse me.
I think your problem is that you are trying to reformat the cells
after you have entered your formulas. In this instance I think
you should be formatting all your cells before you do anything.
If this is not the case please explain your problem in more detail.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry Viesta,

I can't think of what else the problem could be, except to say,
that it is not normal behaviour for the program.
Perhaps you're best option is to start again with a fresh workbook.

Regards.
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Simply re-formatting to General will not do the trick.

After the format to General you must go to each cell and F2 + ENTER to reenter
the formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Viesta,

Was the cell preformatted to text before you entered your formula?
Try deleting the cell, reformat it to general, then enter your formula
again.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear all,

Thanks for all of you to give hands to me.

Just now, I have taken more tries with my simple spread sheet. after all I
found even I didn't re-format those cells from "Text" to "General", I can add
functions in other place, which does work. The other place is in a new empty
column instad of the original one.

Actually, This time I have to say I was confused with how Excel works.

Regards,
Viesta