Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TGL TGL is offline

Default How to use vlookup when lookup contains number and letters

I'm trying to use vlookup for a table I set up for looking up corresponding
prices based on item numbers. For example one of the item numbers is MGM005,
but when I set up the vlookup formula to reference the corresponding column,
which is price, it doesn't work. The vlookup only works for the item numbers
that are strictly numbers such as 001 or 004. If anyone knows how to resolve
this problem that would be great. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have the range_lookup argument set to TRUE or 1? If so, change it to
FALSE or 0 (zero).

=VLOOKUP(A1,B1:D10,2,0)

Biff

"TGL" wrote in message
I'm trying to use vlookup for a table I set up for looking up
corresponding
prices based on item numbers. For example one of the item numbers is
MGM005,
but when I set up the vlookup formula to reference the corresponding
column,
which is price, it doesn't work. The vlookup only works for the item
numbers
that are strictly numbers such as 001 or 004. If anyone knows how to
resolve
this problem that would be great. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TGL TGL is offline

"TGL" wrote in message
I'm trying to use vlookup for a table I set up for looking up
corresponding
prices based on item numbers. For example one of the item numbers is
MGM005,
but when I set up the vlookup formula to reference the corresponding
column,
which is price, it doesn't work. The vlookup only works for the item
numbers
that are strictly numbers such as 001 or 004. If anyone knows how to
resolve
this problem that would be great. Thanks

Thanks that did the trick.