Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to reference one column against another

Here is what I need to do:

I need to count the number of "Proposals" and the number of
"RFP" separately and those two values are contained within the same
column. Then I need cross reference that to the date completed column.
Here is the problem I am running to. I can count the number of RFP
and Proposals using the COUNTIF function but I cannot figure out a way
to determine which number of proposals and RFPs are complete or
pending. I am referencing the data to dates inputted into another
column.

The "P" represents a check mark showing the task complete.

P Type Start Date Due Date Completion Date

P PROPOSAL 02/22/06 04/01/06 04/30/06
P PROPOSAL 04/03/06 04/05/06 04/05/06
PROPOSAL 04/03/06 04/05/06
P RFP 03/30/06 04/07/06 04/04/06
P PROPOSAL 04/07/06 04/10/06 04/10/06
P RFP 04/07/06 04/11/06 04/11/06
P RFP 04/17/06 04/24/06 04/24/06
RFP 04/28/06 05/01/06
Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ted

One way
For NOT completed Proposals
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B:B="PROPOSAL"),--(ISBLANK(E:E)))
For Completed proposals
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B:B="PROPOSAL"),--(NOT(ISBLANK(E:E))))

Change text to "RFP" to deal with your not completed and not completed
RFP's
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Ted McCastlain" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Re Roger's reply:

With SUMPRODUCT you cannot specify complete columns so use B1:B1000 (for
example)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B1000="PROPOSAL"),--(ISBLANK(E1:E1000)))

"Roger Govier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 31 Aug 2006 09:23:40 -0700, "Ted McCastlain"
wrote:

[...]

Unless I'm missing something obvious the following will tell you the
number of completed Proposals. Alter as necessary for the number of
RFPs and change the last term to ="" to indicate the number of pending
items.

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:B100="PROPOSAL")*(A3:A100="P"))

Just an observation, but isn't column A redundant since you only have
a "P" when there is an entry in the Date completed.

In which case change the formula to

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:B100="PROPOSAL")*(E3:E100=""))

and get rid of the data in column A.

Incidentally why were some of the date formats different. some were
d/m/y others are m/d/y ?

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's what they looked like, but why the mixture of styles in the
same table?

Rgds

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:01:01 -0700, Toppers
wrote:

...perhaps US date format ???

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

04/30/06 = 30th April

04/05/06 = 5th April

No mix of styles !

"Richard Buttrey" wrote:

That's what they looked like, but why the mixture of styles in the
same table?

Rgds

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:01:01 -0700, Toppers
wrote:

...perhaps US date format ???

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, all the dates are consistent with mm/dd/yy format - most are for
April, but some are for Feb, March and May.

Pete

Richard Buttrey wrote:
That's what they looked like, but why the mixture of styles in the
same table?

Rgds

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:01:01 -0700, Toppers
wrote:

...perhaps US date format ???

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 31 Aug 2006 11:27:18 -0700, "Pete_UK" wrote:

No, all the dates are consistent with mm/dd/yy format - most are for
April, but some are for Feb, March and May.

Pete

Mea culpa

Quite correct now that I look again.
Put it down to a UK centric view of life where something like 04/28/06
looks odd to these old eyes.

:-(

Rgds
__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks all for the help. I am inheriting this workbook and
unfortunately do not have the time to redesign it as I would like.

As for why the dates were in different formats, I have no idea. You
should see the rest of the workbook!

Richard Buttrey wrote:
On 31 Aug 2006 11:27:18 -0700, "Pete_UK" wrote:

No, all the dates are consistent with mm/dd/yy format - most are for
April, but some are for Feb, March and May.

Pete

Mea culpa

Quite correct now that I look again.
Put it down to a UK centric view of life where something like 04/28/06
looks odd to these old eyes.

:-(

Rgds
__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Toppers.
Complete mental blockage today - put it down to anaesthetic still in
system from recent hospital visit!!!

--
Regards

Roger Govier