Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Default table data

Hello

I have three columns of data which I would like to get into a table.
I cant use a pivot table as each column is alpha none are numeric
What I am after is some kind of look up function that would look up both the
column heading in column 1 and row title in column 2 and then return the data
in column 3

Something like below....

Has any body got any ideas?

Thanks

Raw......
Column Row Data
Budget1 Code1 unique1
Budget1 Code2 unique2
Budget1 Code3 unique3
Budget2 Code1 unique4
Budget2 Code2 unique5
Budget2 Code3 unique6
Budget3 Code1 unique7
Budget3 Code2 unique8
Budget3 Code3 unique9

Table......
Budget1 Budget2 Budget3
Code1 unique1 unique4 unique7
Code2 unique2 unique5 unique8
Code3 unique3 unique6 unique9
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Joe,

I am making the following assumptions
Raw data is in A1:C10

Table range: E1:H4
Column headers: F1:H1
Row headers: E2:E4

Try this formula in the data section of the table starting in F2
=INDEX($C$2:$C$10, MATCH(1, (F$1 = $A$2:$A$10)*($E2=$B$2:$B$10), 0))

You will need to use Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This creates an ARRAY FORMULA,
recognizable by the curly brackets " { } " that automatically appear around
it. You never type these curly brackets when entering an array formula

Then fill down and across and you should have what you need.

Steve DB

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Joe,

You might want to try looking at the help for VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP. I'm not
good at explaining, but you can set your "raw data" up on one tab in your
workbook, then on another tab, you can put formulas and then copy them to the
appropriate cells to have them read your raw data table.

Sandi