Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I select colors instead of numbers for rating risk?

I want to put a color in a a column of cells from a drop down menu that pops
up when I click a cell to indicate risk-green for safe, blue, yellow orange
to red for riskiest. Then I want to average the column to give me a result
color. Anyone done something like that before?

thx ;=)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

why don't you use conditional formatting?
1: risk-safe
2
3
4
5: riskiest

with conditional formatting you could then say, that each
cell with a 1 has a green background (if you want to
make the number invisible, select the same color for the
font!) and so on.

at the end you could then put the formula:
=ROUND(SUM(A1:A10)/COUNT(A1:A10);0)
with the same conditional formatting.

hope that helps

Greetings Carlo

"Patrick" wrote:

I want to put a color in a a column of cells from a drop down menu that pops
up when I click a cell to indicate risk-green for safe, blue, yellow orange
to red for riskiest. Then I want to average the column to give me a result
color. Anyone done something like that before?

thx ;=)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Carlo,

I was easily able to get the cell green and the 1 invisible thanks to your
guidance. I was tripped up, though, when I tried to make it red with 5.
That turns off the green for a 1. Is there a way to do multiple formats for
a cell using conditional formating I just don't see?

Thanks again,

P.