Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K.R K.R is offline

Default Sum IF

I have a spreadsheet where I track my monthly spending.
Column B is the type for example "Grocery"
And Column D is the dollar amount.
I would like to sum by category. That is, sum my grocery, gas etc all
seperately.
What formula can I use to sum cells in column D only if the corresponding
column B cell is "Grocery"

Please Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:31:01 -0700, K.R
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I track my monthly spending.
Column B is the type for example "Grocery"
And Column D is the dollar amount.
I would like to sum by category. That is, sum my grocery, gas etc all
seperately.
What formula can I use to sum cells in column D only if the corresponding
column B cell is "Grocery"

Please Help!!

=SUMIF(B:B,"Grocery",D:D)

Rgds

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

K.R,
here is one way,

=SUMIF(B1:B15,"Grocery",D1:D15)

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"K.R" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet where I track my monthly spending.
Column B is the type for example "Grocery"
And Column D is the dollar amount.
I would like to sum by category. That is, sum my grocery, gas etc all
seperately.
What formula can I use to sum cells in column D only if the corresponding
column B cell is "Grocery"

Please Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With
Categories in Col_B
Amounts in Col_D

E1: Grocery
This formula sums all Col_D values where the corresponding Col_B value
matches the value in cell E1
F1: =SUMIF($B:$B,E1,$D:$D)

Alternatively, you could use a pivot table to automatically generate a list
of all Categories and their respective sums

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"K.R" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I track my monthly spending.
Column B is the type for example "Grocery"
And Column D is the dollar amount.
I would like to sum by category. That is, sum my grocery, gas etc all
seperately.
What formula can I use to sum cells in column D only if the corresponding
column B cell is "Grocery"

Please Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since you want to see all categories totalled separately, you should have a
look at pivot tables. Your example is a very simple pivot table, but if you
experiment with it on a simple application, you will find other uses for
this powerful tool.

--
Carlos