Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need Function to look up value and return a text value?

I am using Excel and I need a function that look up a valule in column A and
returns the Text value from B, C, and D.

Here is what I am doing I got 8 sheets with people's names and in column A
on each of these sheets I have a value let say 1J, 2J, 3J, etc to 20J this
would be the same on all 8 sheets. Now on sheet 9 I have a list of 1000
items and in column A i want to put 1J, 2P, 1T, ect.. for the 8 sheets. Then
I want it to return the text strings in Column B, C, and D.

It will not be in acending or decending orders.

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Accestimator wrote:
I am using Excel and I need a function that look up a valule in
column A and returns the Text value from B, C, and D.

Here is what I am doing I got 8 sheets with people's names and in
column A on each of these sheets I have a value let say 1J, 2J, 3J,
etc to 20J this would be the same on all 8 sheets. Now on sheet 9 I
have a list of 1000 items and in column A i want to put 1J, 2P, 1T,
ect.. for the 8 sheets. Then I want it to return the text strings in
Column B, C, and D.

It will not be in acending or decending orders.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I think that VLOOKUP should suite for you. Check the online help for the
function.

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Use the formulae

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,range,column_no,true/false)

1. lookup_value is the value you want to look up and must be the
leftmost of the range you select.
2. range is the Table range from where you want the value to be
returned
3. column_no is the no of column from the value you are looking up
4. true/false

Use it this way, you will get the desired output.

Thanks

Shail