Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default linking pivot table data to a cell in other sheet

Hi!

I have prepared a pivot table for equipment avalability, in which I can
select the required equipment, following which I can see the avaiability
status, which is being maintained in another sheet. Now, I want to create a
link of that particular equipment (selected in the pivot table) to the
another sheet and particular cells where details of accessories are there. I
am unable to do that. Is there any way of doing it??

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Sudip,

A VLOOKUP function can help you in this. But if you give me an example
here, I could suggest the function in a better way.

=vlookup(lookupvalue,range,column#,false)

lookupvalue is the value selected from the pivot table
range is the pivot table range
column# is the number of the column in your range from the leftmost
column of your range.

thanks,

Shail

sudip wrote:
Hi!

I have prepared a pivot table for equipment avalability, in which I can
select the required equipment, following which I can see the avaiability
status, which is being maintained in another sheet. Now, I want to create a
link of that particular equipment (selected in the pivot table) to the
another sheet and particular cells where details of accessories are there. I
am unable to do that. Is there any way of doing it??

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Shail,

Thanks for your reply, however I am unable to work it out. I will clear my
problem in the following paragraphs, which may help you understand it better :
(a) I have the workbook in which I have three sheets
(i) First sheet is named as 'Equipment Status' where all the
equipment accessories like control unit, sensor unit, RF cable etc pertaining
to a particular equipment are listed under each type of equipment and there
are several likewise equipment.
(ii) the second sheet is named as 'Base Database', where the main
equipment names, and their quantity details are listed.

(iii) the third sheet is names as 'Summary', where a Pivot Table is
created using the data from 'Base Database' sheet.

(b) Now what I want is, if the selected equipment in 'Summary' sheet is
clicked , then excel should take me to the 'Equipment Status' sheet, in a
place where the accessory details of the particuar equipment is listed.

Hope I am able to clear the situation. Expecting a positive response.

Regards

Sudip

sudip wrote:
Hi!

I have prepared a pivot table for equipment avalability, in which I can
select the required equipment, following which I can see the avaiability
status, which is being maintained in another sheet. Now, I want to create a
link of that particular equipment (selected in the pivot table) to the
another sheet and particular cells where details of accessories are there. I
am unable to do that. Is there any way of doing it??

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Sudip,

Posting you the reply after a long time.

I got the formula below from Ron. This formula was orginally for the
dropdown validation list. I hope this works for you too.

****************

Select B2
<data<validation
Allow: List
Source: $D$1:$D$2
Click the [OK] button

C2: =HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(B2,$D$1:$E$2,2,0),"Open That Link")

That way, B2 displays the "friendly name" and C2 hyperlinks to the
file.

*********

thanks,

Shail