Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with Lookup Calculation

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up (in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($D15,SHRINKS,6,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($D 15,stores_ty_pl,20,FALSE),VLOOKUP($D15,SHRINKS,6,F ALSE))

.....all on one line, watch out for word-wrap

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up (in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That did it! I really appreciate your help. One more thing if I may, is
there a way to Shade the result indicating that it came from the first
look-up rather than the second look-up?

Thanks Again.

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up (in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

You're welcome Scott, thanks for the feedback.........

If your VLOOKUP values are numerical, this formula will work in the
Conditional Formatting feature to tell you that the lookup number was found
in the "shrinks" table.....

=VLOOKUP($D$15,SHRINKS,6,FALSE)

Format ConditionalFormatting Formula is: paste the above formula here,
and note that there are two $ in it......then format to choice

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up (in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chuck.........

You are a SUPERSTAR in my book. So many times on this board you recieve
well meaning but very vague answers. You took the time to actually nwrite
out the calculation for me, and I really appreciate the effort. You have no
idea how much time this formula saves me, not to mention the data integrity
aspect of it. I wish there was some way I could repay you.

Thanks Again!

Scott D.

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up (in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Scott..........

You're welcome of course, and your appreciation is very kind. I'll tell
you a little true story, if you have a moment. One late night, many years
ago, I got off work and headed across town for home on the freeway. My old
'58 Ford stopped running. I thought I was out of gas, and grabbed my gas can
and hitch-hiked a couple of miles to a Gas Station. The guy that picked me
up waited and drove me back to my car, and waited while I tried to start it.
It wouldn't start and he came over and looked at the engine and found that
my Distributor cap had split in half! He said, wait a minute and walked
back to his car and returned with a brand new one, installed it saying he
had been a Ford Mechanic for 20 years and always carried a few spare parts.
Well, you talk about thankful!........I offered what little money I had, my
firstborn, anything to repay his kindness.......he would have nothing from
me, except to say, "whenever you have a chance, you help someone else in
your way". I try to live up to his charge and carry forth his
ideals.........so actually, I thank you Scott, for giving me the opportunity
to be of help, and in doing so, I am able to thank "him" once again.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

+

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the

value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does

not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up

(in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in

the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chuck,

That's a great story. I had the same kind of experience more than 30 years
ago. Broken down on the side of the freeway in California, just a 15 year
old kid scared to death. A nice older couple took the time to drive me home
more than 20 miles out of their way. I have never forgotten their kindness
all these years later, and do what I can to help others.

Too bad there are not more people in the world like you with a kind heart.

Thanks again.

Scott Dickeson
CSK Auto Inc.

"Scott D." wrote:

I need to combine the following lookup statements, if it finds the

value in
the first look-up I want to use that number. If the number does

not exzist
in the first look-up, then I want it to use the swecond look-up

(in which the
number will always be found). Here are my 2 look-up statements in

the proper
order.

=vlookup($D15,shrinks,6,false)

=vlookup($D15,stores_ty_pl,20,false)

I appreciate your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

I like your story too Scott. BTW, there are "many" kind people in these
newsgroups, giving freely of their time and talents. I know I sure couldn't
get along without them, and truely appreciate their assistance on many
occasions. That's the sort of thing that makes this such a wonderful place
to come.....sometimes to give help, and sometimes to get it.......and always
to learn something new every day.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3