Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I sort records that are on two lines in a spreadsheet?

I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to sort. The records are on two rows
with the first row, first column containing the record number. I want to
sort the file and maintain the records.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming you have contiguous data in the second column, insert a new
third column (temporarily), then click on your first record number
(assume this is A2) and press F5 - select Special then Current Region.
Press F5 again, select Special then Blanks. Then:

type the = sign,
click on A2 (or the cell above),
type +0.1
press CTRL-ENTER

This will make all the blank cells 0.1 higher than the record number
above it. Fix the values, get rid of the temporary third column and
sort.

Hope this helps.

Pete

ecox wrote:
I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to sort. The records are on two rows
with the first row, first column containing the record number. I want to
sort the file and maintain the records.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Add the record number to the blank rows in first column.

How to do..........

Select column A and F5SpecialBlanksOK

Enter an = sign in the active cell then point to cell above and hit CTRL + ENTER

Copy column A and in place paste specialvaluesokesc

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP