Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Paste Special

I am trying to copy a series of cells within the same colum and paste within
that same colum without changing the formula....whenever I paste it changes
the formula to match the cells that I am pasting it in.
For example:
A4=sum(A1:A4)
I want to past this formula into A5 where it still reads (A1:A4)

I know that I am making this harder than it needs to be!
Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you using circular references or it is a typo? Normally you wouldn't
have =SUM(A1:A4) in cell A4 since you would get a circular reference error
and you need to change the iteration under toolsoptionscalculation.
Anyway, you can use absolute references like

=SUM($A$1:$A$3)

then copy and paste

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"SallyGirl" wrote in message
I am trying to copy a series of cells within the same colum and paste
within
that same colum without changing the formula....whenever I paste it
changes
the formula to match the cells that I am pasting it in.
For example:
A4=sum(A1:A4)
I want to past this formula into A5 where it still reads (A1:A4)

I know that I am making this harder than it needs to be!
Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SallyGirl Wrote:
I am trying to copy a series of cells within the same colum and paste
within
that same colum without changing the formula....whenever I paste it
changes
the formula to match the cells that I am pasting it in.
For example:
A4=sum(A1:A4)
I want to past this formula into A5 where it still reads (A1:A4)

I know that I am making this harder than it needs to be!
Please helpi Sally,

First this formula in cell A4 will give you a circular reference. But
to answer your question.

Make cell A4 active, then highlight and copy the formula from the
"Formula Bar", hit "Enter"
then go to the destination cell and paste normal. (Formula
Barcopyenterpaste)

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934