Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Searching for a value in an Array

I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the price
of a certain machine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1 way
E2=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="usa")*(B2:B100=1)*(C2:C100 ))

another: put country in D2 and model number in D3
E2=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100=D2)*(B2:B100=D3)*(C2:C100))

"Farah" skrev:

I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(A1:A100="country")*(B1:B10 0="machine"),0))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and

in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the

price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob,
I'm getting closer and closer to understanding this stuff, but in this
example there is one small piece I haven't got yet,

Your Match() has 3 elements:
1) the 1,
2) the combination of the ranges (Col A and ColB as one parameter)
3) the 0, which is an exact match)

So 1 (in this case) is the lookup value, hummmm.. not sure I'm getting the
meaning here - I take 1 to be the value I'm looking for, confused

Tks in Advance,
Jim

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and

in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the

price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jim,

This is matching two values against two ranges.

So what it does is compare one value against one range

A1:A100="country"

which returns an array of TRUE/FALSE values aka the SUMPRODUCT tests that we
know and love. Similarly

B1:B100="machine"

returns another array of TRUE/FALSE.

By using the * operator, we coerce them to a single array of 1/0 values. The
MATCH statement is then used to find the first 1 within that array, and that
index number is passed to the INDEX function to find the matching item in
the third range.

This technique does assume only a singleton match, it cannot find multiples,
it will find the first if multiples exist. But that is no different to
VLOOKUP.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name,

and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with

different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the

price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ah so;
Thanks Bob; So I am looking for (the first) 1 (which is in reality a TRUE);
Great - E-X-P-A-N-D-I-N-G- T-H-E M-I-N-D ,,,,,

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name,

and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with

different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Probably it's easier to understand a bit faster version...

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,IF(A1:A100="country",IF(B1: B100="machine",1)),0))

which still needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter.

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and

in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the

price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Guys,

It is not working, see I can pass you the files if possible just tell me how
as I am new to this whole thing. The point is that I have many machines for
one country and I have many countries, to give you an idea, I have seven
coutries and for each country and I have more than three hundred machines
prices. The system given me a dupm showing in one column the country name and
in another column the machine name and then the price. I need a function that
checks the country in one column and in the other columnn it checks the
machine, if both are OK then it should give me the price which is in another
column.

Regards,
Farah

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name, and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It gave me an error which is #NUM though I checked it many times. The point
is that in the countries list, the country is repeated many times, and in the
machine model column, the machine is repeated many times, you need to create
a lookup function which will search for the machine and then when it founds
the machine search in another column for the country and then when both the
machine and the country matches your search criteria you need to get the
price from another column, which means basically that you have a two columns
lookup procedure.

Regards,

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country name,

and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with

different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain country

the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I completely understand how your data is laid out and the formula I gave you
should do what you want.

Show me the exact formula that you used. an example of the data would help
too.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country

name,
and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with

different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain

country
the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I attached below the data, I am sorry it is not tidy enough but the first
column is the machine model, then you can see the country and then the price.

D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13456 IRAQ 137 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13457 JORDAN 137 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13458 LEBANON 137 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13459 SYRIA 137 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13460 EGYPT 137 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13461 LIBYA 126 USD
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13462 MOROCCO 116 EUR
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13463 TUNISIA 134 EUR
D28886-QS Dewalt Die Grinder. 710W variable speed 13464 ALGERIA 140.36 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13457 JORDAN 122.9 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13458 LEBANON 122.9 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13459 SYRIA 117 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13460 EGYPT 122.9 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13461 LIBYA 125 USD
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13462 MOROCCO 110 EUR
D51238K-QS USE XJ Version 13463 TUNISIA 120 EUR
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13456 IRAQ 132.3 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13457 JORDAN 129 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13458 LEBANON 129 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13459 SYRIA 129 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13460 EGYPT 129 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13461 LIBYA 131.3 USD
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13462 MOROCCO 115.5 EUR
D51238K-XJ 18 GA 50mm BRAD NAILER KIT 13464 ALGERIA 139.76 USD
D51256K-QS USE XJ VERSION 13456 IRAQ 183.8 USD

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the country

name,
and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries with
different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain

country
the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This works fine for me

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(B1:B100="LEBANON")*(A1:A10 0="D51238K-QS USE XJ
Version 13458"),0))

although I do notice that all the machines are unique

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(A1:A100="country")*(B1:B10 0="machine"),0))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with
Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing dir

ect)

"Farah" wrote in message
I have a master price list were I have in column A the

country
name,
and
in
column B the machine model number and in column C the price.
Obviously you can find the same machine for many countries

with
different
prices, I need a formula were I can extract for a certain

country
the
price
of a certain machine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry to jump in here but I have a question that runs along the lines of the
original post of this thread but also has a different twist.

In each cell of Page 1, A1:100 I want to search Page 2, A1:50 for a specific
code. If that code is there then I want the amount in Column B of that same
row on Page 2 to be returned. I presume the first part is easily handled by
the first part of the INDEX formula below but how do I get it to return the
correct value?