Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding time [t]:mm:ss

Hi.
I try to figure out the average time spent in a range but cant figure out
how.

This is how it looks like:

00:00:10
00:00:06
00:00:00
00:00:04
00:00:04
------------
=AVERAGE(A2:A6)
===============
Here is a total of 24 seconds.
These seconds should be divided with 4 and return the answer; 00:00:06.

The problem is:
1) One row does not contain any hours, minutes or seconds and should not be
counted.
2) Even when there is no figures in that particular row, the answer returned
is wrong?

Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

Enter this formula using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just
ENTER):

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A60,A2:A6))

Format the cell as h:mm:ss

Biff

"Jan G. Thorstensen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much. That did the trick.

Regards
Jan

"Biff" skrev i melding
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, again. One more problem with this.
When I try to calculate with more arguments,
it fails?
Say I have different ranges I want to include.

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A6,A10:A140,A2:A6,A10:A14))
or
=AVERAGE(IF((A2:A6,A10:A140),(A2:A6,A10:A14)))

Now, it returns an error? It say the formula contains too
many arguments. How can I avoid this or how should the
formula look like?

Thank you for your help!

Regards
Jan.

PS I am using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

You can't use multiple disjointed ranges in that manner.

What do you have in the cells that are between the 2 ranges? A7, A8 and A9?
If these cells are empty or have text in them then you can just include them
in the reference as a contiguous range like:

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A140,A2:A14))

Text and empty cells will be ignored in the formula.

If the cells between the ranges contain numbers then try one of these. The
first one is an array. (array entered - CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER)

=AVERAGE(IF(CHOOSE({1,2},A2:A6,A10:A14)0,CHOOSE({ 1,2},A2:A6,A10:A14)))

Or, normally entered (with just ENTER):

=(SUMIF(A2:A6,"0")+SUMIF(A10:A14,"0"))/(COUNTIF(A2:A6,"0")+COUNTIF(A10:A14,"0"))

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

Biff

"Jan T." wrote in message
[...]

Adding numbers to a Time Formated cell Browner Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 June 20th 06 03:55 PM
Adding time Ken Davie Excel Worksheet Functions 10 June 5th 06 06:54 PM
what is the formula for adding up time intervals? thinkrabbit Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 May 24th 06 06:57 AM
Adding time trucker New Users to Excel 1 November 22nd 05 10:18 PM
adding in time formats rvnwdr Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 31st 05 11:38 PM