Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do you use more than 7 arguments in a logical IF?

I am able to utilize a logical IF to automatically select the data I want to
show in a cell based on the result of the logical IF statement. My problem
is that I want to exceed the apparent limit of 7 nested IF's. The result
must show up in a speciofic cell.
I could utilize several cells (on a different worksheet) to all reference
the data in a specific cell and then use a seperate cell to query the result
of the cells but that is where I get confused.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you post an example of your formula with nested IFs and point out
how you want to extend it?

Often a lookup table can reduce a multiple-IF formula, but it depends
on exactly what you want to do.

Pete

Bill wrote:
I am able to utilize a logical IF to automatically select the data I want to
show in a cell based on the result of the logical IF statement. My problem
is that I want to exceed the apparent limit of 7 nested IF's. The result
must show up in a speciofic cell.
I could utilize several cells (on a different worksheet) to all reference
the data in a specific cell and then use a seperate cell to query the result
of the cells but that is where I get confused.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=(IF(K14=60210,"OF1130",IF(K14=60415,"OE1480",IF(K 14=60511,"OR1600",IF(K14=61211,"MF2000",IF(K14=612 40,"MF2040",IF(K14=61414,"ME2280",IF(K14=61511,"MR 2380"," "))))))))

I have 10 items in cell K14. I want to be able to extend the logic to 10
but Excel has a limit of 7 nested if's. I am not familiar with lookup tables
but will look into that.
Thank you

Bill

Bill wrote:
I am able to utilize a logical IF to automatically select the data I want to
show in a cell based on the result of the logical IF statement. My problem
is that I want to exceed the apparent limit of 7 nested IF's. The result
must show up in a speciofic cell.
I could utilize several cells (on a different worksheet) to all reference
the data in a specific cell and then use a seperate cell to query the result
of the cells but that is where I get confused.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I do have a drop down list on a different worksheet that contains all the
data available for cell K14. Can I simply take the value input in cell K14,
then use that value to select the coresponding data from the second column:
60210 OR1600
60242 OF1210
60260 OF1230
60415 OF1130
60511 OE1480
61211 MR2380
61240 MF2040
61414 MF2000
61511 MR2380
MIOEX ALLOEX
ie Cell K14 value is selected from a drop down containing the entire set of
values in the left column above. The data is on a seperate worksheet. If
cell K14 contains 61414 can I use the lookup function to select MF2000?

Bill wrote:
I am able to utilize a logical IF to automatically select the data I want to
show in a cell based on the result of the logical IF statement. My problem
is that I want to exceed the apparent limit of 7 nested IF's. The result
must show up in a speciofic cell.
I could utilize several cells (on a different worksheet) to all reference
the data in a specific cell and then use a seperate cell to query the result
of the cells but that is where I get confused.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/nested.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill" wrote in message ...
|I am able to utilize a logical IF to automatically select the data I want to
| show in a cell based on the result of the logical IF statement. My problem
| is that I want to exceed the apparent limit of 7 nested IF's. The result
| must show up in a speciofic cell.
| I could utilize several cells (on a different worksheet) to all reference
| the data in a specific cell and then use a seperate cell to query the result
| of the cells but that is where I get confused.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Niek - thank you for the link. It will prove invaluable to me in the future.