Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookup & Case Sensitivity

Hi All,

I am trying to compare two spreadsheets of text strings, I only want to find
those that match content and case. Currently Excel says that they match even
if the case is not matching ie

Follow Up is not the same as Follow up

But with my current standard vlookup statement, Excel returns these values
as matching.

Please can someone help.

Thanks
--
K Hogwood-Thompson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try this

=IF(EXACT(K4,VLOOKUP(K4,I5:J11,1,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(K 4,I5:J11,2,FALSE))

change references accordingly.

KHogwood-Thompson Wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to compare two spreadsheets of text strings, I only want to
find
those that match content and case. Currently Excel says that they match
even
if the case is not matching ie

Follow Up is not the same as Follow up

But with my current standard vlookup statement, Excel returns these
values
as matching.

Please can someone help.

Thanks
--
K Hogwood-Thompson

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One way ..

Assume you're using this in B1, with B1 copied down:
=VLOOKUP(A1,$E$1:$F$10,2,0)

Try placing this instead in B1, then array-enter the formula by pressing
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, instead of just pressing ENTER:
=IF(A1="","",INDEX($F$1:$F$10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER( FIND(A1,$E$1:$E$10)),0)))
Copy B1 down

Adapt the ranges to suit ..
--
Max
Singapore
"KHogwood-Thompson" wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to compare two spreadsheets of text strings, I only want to find
those that match content and case. Currently Excel says that they match even
if the case is not matching ie

Follow Up is not the same as Follow up

But with my current standard vlookup statement, Excel returns these values
as matching.

Please can someone help.

Thanks
--
K Hogwood-Thompson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One more...

=INDEX(Sheet2!B1:B999,MATCH(TRUE,EXACT(A1,Sheet2!A 1:A999),0))

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

KHogwood-Thompson wrote:

Hi All,

I am trying to compare two spreadsheets of text strings, I only want to find
those that match content and case. Currently Excel says that they match even
if the case is not matching ie

Follow Up is not the same as Follow up

But with my current standard vlookup statement, Excel returns these values
as matching.

Please can someone help.

Thanks
--