Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Index function

Can you use the match function to return the last match instead of the first?
I know the match type 0 returns the first exact match. I tried using the
match type number that was the same as the quantity of entries to return the
last exact match, but I get an error. Does match type only accept -1, 0, and
1??
--
Shirley
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

.............A............B
1........Tom.........20
2........Joe...........55
3........Sue...........70
4........Tom..........10

C1 = lookup value = Tom

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A4=C1),B1:B4)

Returns 10

Biff

"Shirley" wrote in message
Can you use the match function to return the last match instead of the
first?
I know the match type 0 returns the first exact match. I tried using the
match type number that was the same as the quantity of entries to return
the
last exact match, but I get an error. Does match type only accept -1, 0,
and
1??
--
Shirley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank You, I will try that this morning instead of Index.

--
Shirley

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Try this:

.............A............B
1........Tom.........20
2........Joe...........55
3........Sue...........70
4........Tom..........10

C1 = lookup value = Tom

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A4=C1),B1:B4)

Returns 10

Biff

"Shirley" wrote in message
Can you use the match function to return the last match instead of the
first?
I know the match type 0 returns the first exact match. I tried using the
match type number that was the same as the quantity of entries to return
the
last exact match, but I get an error. Does match type only accept -1, 0,
and
1??
--
Shirley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

Biff

"Shirley" wrote in message
Thank You, I will try that this morning instead of Index.

--
Shirley

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!