Ida Lundberg

Default A balance sheet

Hi,

I am trying to put together a simple balance sheet where I have a starting
balance in say E2. In column C are all the debits, column D has the credits
and E has the current balance.
So....what I am trying to do is to check for an entry in C3 and if there is,
the formula in E3 will be =E2-C3. But I am also checking for credit entries
so it needs to be =E2-C3+D3. This works but I would like to leave E3 blank
if there nothing entered in the debit (C) or credit (D).
I tried using this: =IF(ISBLANK(C3),"",SUM(E2-C3+D3))

And it works. The problem is I need to check for ISBLANK in D3 as well in
the same formula.

Can this be done and if so, how? Or am I off the planet here, perhaps there
is a much easier way of doing this?

Grateful for all help.

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

E3=IF(OR(C3="",D3="","",$E$2-SUM($C$3:$C3)+SUM($D$3:$D3))
It will leave E3 blank, until both C3 and D3 are filled. But are you sure
about it - maybe you have only incomings (or outcomings) for some period! My
advice is to use formula:
E3=IF(AND(C3="",D3="","",$E$2-SUM($C$3:$C3)+SUM($D$3:$D3))
Of course copy either formula you use down for as much rows you think as
reasonable

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<attarkon.ee
Arvi Laanemets

[...]

R.VENKATARAMAN

try this

=IF(AND(ISBLANK(C3),ISBLANK(D3)),"",SUM(E2-C3+D3))

you can also use <OR if you want.