Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto Filter

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

AutoFilter deals with entire rows, and should not re-sort any columns with
reference to another.....one thing you might check is if the data you have in
each cell is actually in that cell rather than being "carried over" from the
cell to the left of it, and actually nothing is in the cell itself....ie with
Modelnum 11311 in cell A1 and nothing in B1, then it can appear that Modelnum
is the only thing in A1 and 11311 is actually in B1, but of course Excel
knows it's all in A1 and will filter accordingly....

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have this problem also. A spreadsheet with multiple rows and columns has
been working fine until the past 3 days. I have been using the Auto Filter
to filter and then sort for weeks and now - If I Sort using the Auto Filter,
it only sorts that column. There is no carry over in cells - it is actually
sorting ONLY that column. Is this a bug? Do I have a corrupted spreadsheet?
What should I do. I certainly can't turn the spreadsheet over to my users
with it doing this !! Anne M

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Note that Autofilter will filter ROWS, but if there are any empty columns
within the field, then SORT will not jump across them..........perhaps a
column has been recently added, or emptied.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

I don't really know where we're at with all this........please tell us which
columns are in your database and show up on the Autofilter, then which
column(s) are you sorting on......and, if all columns within the database
range have values in them?
Then, which columns are not following the SORT?.....how you are implementing
the sort, by macro or toolbar button......and, oh yeah, which version of
Excel are you using?

tks
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Then, exactly

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have columns A through J that are filterable and I am trying to filter by
column A. Not every cell has a record and column J is the only column that
is completely empty besides the header.

I am using the dropdown menu from row A to do the sort. As I said
everything besides the sorts filters correctly so that confuses me even more.

Excell 2003

Thanks for your help.

--
Rob

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

I still don't fully understand. I see that you have columns A:J, and
presumably have the Autofilter on which gives a little dropdown arrow at the
top of each column. At this point you would be looking at your entire
database, with the Autofilter applied but nothing filtered. Now, if you
selected the arrow atop column A and chose one of the options in that
dropdown, you would be "filtering", not "sorting"........if you then selected
a cell in column A and did Data Sort, etc etc.........then you would be
"sorting"........so, where is the actual failure occuring, and how does it
present itself?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe I was confused on the function itself. When I hit the arrow for the
drop down menu it looks like this.

Sort Ascending
Sort Descending
------------------
(All)
(Top 10)
(Custom)
1
2
3
4
5
etc.

Those are the sort functions that I am trying to get to work. I have used
this sort function on this list in other files and have had it work. But for
some reason it is not working in this one.

--
Rob

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Well, sorry Rob.........you must be using one of those newfangled Excel
versions that I haven't seen yet ......my '97 and XP don't have those options
so I don't know what to tell you from here..........maybe someone else can
pick it up form here, or you might re-post and mention this information at
the beginning, and what version of Excel you're using.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"soteman" wrote:

I have a group of about 6 columns and many rows for a issues list. I
highlighted the group of information and selected the autofilter. But when I
try to filter is just filters that column and does not move around the rest
of the columns. So now the information in each of the columns is not matched
up correctly. Any suggestions?

--
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe you should forget about the Autofilter.

Select all the columns then DataSort and sort on column A.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP