Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use the spell check on a protected sheet in Excel?

I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jimjam, one way,

Sub Spell_Check()

'spell check a protected sheet

Const Password = "123" '**Change password here**

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=Password

Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC",
IgnoreUppercase:=False _

, AlwaysSuggest:=True

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:=Password

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Paul, thank you sooo much.

I don't want to be a bug, but where do I begin with that Sub Spell_Check ()??

I'm still a bit confused.

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and
pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open
the VBA editor, in Project Explorer click on your workbook name, if you
don't see it press CTRL + r to open the Project Explorer, then go to insert,
module, and paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side,
press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook and press
alt and F8, this will bring up a box to pick the Macro from, click on the
Macro name to run it. If you are using excel 2000 or newer you may have to
change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
medium

And if you are new to macros you may also what to have a look here on
getting started with macros

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"jimjam" wrote in message
Hi Paul, thank you sooo much.

I don't want to be a bug, but where do I begin with that Sub Spell_Check
()??

I'm still a bit confused.

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Paul,
Hope you're still around to help, I tried following your instructions and
when I got to the stage of pressing clicking run I got an error:

Compile Error:
Syntax error

and the line:
Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC",
was highlighted.

What can I do now!?
Thanks

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That line is part of a longer line.

Change to this revision.............

Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC", _
IgnoreUppercase:=False, AlwaysSuggest:=True

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Great that works.
My only question now is... do I have to press alt and F8 to run the spell
check, or is there a way of allowing F7 to be pressed as usual? - I just want
to make this as straight forward as possible for the users!
Thanks

"jimjam" wrote in message
I cannot use the spellcheck function on a protected sheet? HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, that works great.

My only question now is....does the user have to click alt + F8 and choose
the macro, or can the normal F7 shortcut still be used somehow (it can't as
it stands)? (I just want to make it as easy as possible for the multiple
users!!)