Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

I often use excel as a fancy calculator. But often I forget to start the
calculator with the = sign. So if I want to add 44 + 66, I forget to
type in an = sign first, an it gives me an error message. Is there a
setting to turn that off, so I can type in 44 + 66 and it gives me an
answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I always have Excel running and it's also my calculator. I never use use a
calculator anymore!

The answer to your question is no.

The equal sign tells Excel that you're entering a formula that needs to be
calculated.

You can use a plus sign (+) instead of the equal sign (=) if you always use
the numeric keypad. It's more ergonomic than "reaching" for the equal sign.
Excel will accept the plus sign and upon hitting ENTER, will automatically
change it to an equal sign.

+44+66 [Enter]

Biff

"auto" <[email protected] wrote in message
I often use excel as a fancy calculator. But often I forget to start the
calculator with the = sign. So if I want to add 44 + 66, I forget to
type in an = sign first, an it gives me an error message. Is there a
setting to turn that off, so I can type in 44 + 66 and it gives me an
answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No way to turn that off.

Type in the = sign.

Same like starting your car..........need to insert key and turn to start.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP