Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default auto-numbering for invoices

an easy way to apply auto-numbering to a cell in excel. when i open invoice
template each time it counts 001, 002, 003 etc thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I used a cell on the spreadsheet that contained the number i wanted to
start with in my case 1. I set this line to hidden so it wouldn't
appear when I printed.

so let's say Z1 = 1

I then wrote a script that would pull this number on open in the sub
below. I then had it add one to this number

Let's say B1 is your invoice number field on your sheet

store the value of z1 in a variable

take that value and add one to it storing that value in another
variable

i then stored the new z1 value back in z1 and had it resave the file
over the original file with the new z1 number.

I then changed the value of B1 to the invoice I wanted to work on and
then had it save this file based on the invoice number. Create a folder
called invoices and it will save every one for you.

You can tell it where you want it to save and create a file name based
on a variable.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

End Sub

I wish I had the code for this easily accessible, but I don't. I hope I
helped.

--
tdecker81
tdecker81's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36938