Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup function

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with LOOKUP worksheet fucnction .. I used in a range
of 10 cells .. in some of these cells it is returning a correct result
.. but in other cells it is returning wrong result.

the formuls I am using is the following:

Code:
--------------------
=LOOKUP("A2",Report!$F$2:$F$51,Report!$H$2:$H$51)
Code:
--------------------

I hope you can help me in this case,

--
LoveCandle
LoveCandle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28612

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Lookup only works correctly if your lookup range, in this case
Report!$F$2:$F$51, is sorted in ascending order. This formula will also
give you the "closest match" (next lowest) if an exact match isn't
found.

If you only require exact matches, you can have an unsorted lookup
range but you should use VLOOKUP, i.e.

=VLOOKUP("A2",Report!$F$2:$H$51,3,0)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you looking up the *value* "A2",
Or are you looking up the contents of the cell A2?

Is the data in F2 to F51 sorted in ascending order?

RD

"LoveCandle" wrote
in message ...

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with LOOKUP worksheet fucnction .. I used in a range
of 10 cells .. in some of these cells it is returning a correct result
. but in other cells it is returning wrong result.

the formuls I am using is the following:

Code:
--------------------
=LOOKUP("A2",Report!$F$2:$F$51,Report!$H$2:$H$51)
Code:
--------------------

I hope you can help me in this case,

--
LoveCandle
LoveCandle's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=566441

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you everybody for your help,

I think the solution for my problem is sorting the lookup range in
ascending order.

But, by this way I will have to change my table arrangement which I
don't want to.. so I prefered to use another worksheet function/s
like:

Code:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A4,Feuil1!$E$9:Feuil1!$E$67,0)),"", OFFSET(Feuil1!$C$8,MATCH(A4,Feuil1!$E$9:Feuil1!$E$ 67,0),0))

That formula worked perfectly with my case,

Thank you again,