Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculate averages

How can I calculate averages automatically subtracting the lowest number in a
range?
I was told to use the SUM, MIN and Count function
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A10<MIN(A1:A10),A1:A10))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"inspiredtoo" wrote in message
How can I calculate averages automatically subtracting the lowest number

in a
range?
I was told to use the SUM, MIN and Count function
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why does this sound like homework to me?

Here's an *array* formula, using *none* of the functions you mentioned:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5SMALL(A1:A5,1),A1:A5))

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"inspiredtoo" wrote in message
How can I calculate averages automatically subtracting the lowest number in
range?
I was told to use the SUM, MIN and Count function
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What if there are duplicate lowest numbers? Do you want to exclude all of
them or just one of them?

This will exclude just one of them:

=SUM(A1:A10,-MIN(A1:A10))/(COUNT(A1:A10)-1)

Biff

"inspiredtoo" wrote in message
How can I calculate averages automatically subtracting the lowest number
in a
range?
I was told to use the SUM, MIN and Count function
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You figured it out!! It is homework, sort of. An online class that make a
quantum leap from examples to homework. But then, in the real world, the
best solution is often knowing how to look for help. I had most of it, but
didn't figure out the double brackets...we hadn't covered that yet.

Thanks for your help.
Dan