Marc Todd

Default Eliminate creating list that returns blank cells

I am trying to create a new range that returns data from columns of an
existing range without creating a list of blank cells. I used VLOOKUP but
may have used it incorrectly as I changed the seach parameters in each
descending cell in the column. Which function/formula do I use to return
lookup data without creating a list filled with blank cells?
Gord Dibben

Marc

Use the correct mix of Absolute and Relative references in your VLOOKUP
formulas.

To absolutely fix the table range.....$A$1:$C$50

To absolutely fix the lookup value.....$D$1

Usually the lookup value cell is relative......D1 so it will change.

=VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$C$50,2,0) will change to =VLOOKUP(D2,$A$1:$C$50,2,0)

as you copy down.

If I have misread your needs, post back and we can try again.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP