-   -   How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/101090-how-do-i-say-if-cell-blank-use-formula.html)

Linhob

How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula...

I'd like to set up a formula (function?) that says,
If this cell is blank, then use this formula.
If the same cell has data, then use this forumula.
But I just can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be great.
I know the two formula's I want to use, I just don't know how to direct the
cell to the right one.

RagDyeR

How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula...

You can try this:

=If(Isblank(A1),formula1,formula2)

--
HTH,

RD

"Linhob" wrote in message
I'd like to set up a formula (function?) that says,
If this cell is blank, then use this formula.
If the same cell has data, then use this forumula.
But I just can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be great.
I know the two formula's I want to use, I just don't know how to direct
the
cell to the right one.

Dave Peterson

How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula...

=if(a1="",yourfirstformula,yourotherformula)

=if(a1="",average(b3:c99),sum(x9:z99))

Linhob wrote:

I'd like to set up a formula (function?) that says,
If this cell is blank, then use this formula.
If the same cell has data, then use this forumula.
But I just can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be great.
I know the two formula's I want to use, I just don't know how to direct the
cell to the right one.

--

Dave Peterson

David Billigmeier

How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula...

Try the ISBLANK() function, for example:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),function_if_blank,function_if_non_ blank)

Does that help?
Dave

"Linhob" wrote:

I'd like to set up a formula (function?) that says,
If this cell is blank, then use this formula.
If the same cell has data, then use this forumula.
But I just can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be great.
I know the two formula's I want to use, I just don't know how to direct the
cell to the right one.

Linhob

How do I say "if this cell is blank, use this formula...

This is definitely helping to get me in the right direction. I understand
that I need to put the cell that I want to check whether it is blank or not.
I'm not sure what to do w/ the function portion. So currently my formual
looks like this
=if(isblank(j22),=-e22+today()_if_blank,=j22-e22_if_non_blank)
Of course this isn't translating, but it's closer to where I should be.