Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

I am creating a if/then formula that will look at a cell in column A that
contains either one of the following day notations MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI,
SAT, SUN, or HOL. If the date is between any non holiday weekday it should
be included in a count. The second part of the if/then statement includes
the choice between OK and DEFECT. I am trying to count only the defects that
happen during non holiday dates for entire month. I have written the
following formula for a single day but have had no luck. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

=IF((($A7=MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI)=AND($D7=DEFECT)),1,0)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know what you are trying to do on a bigger picture.. but the
formula would be:

=IF(AND(OR(A7="MON",A7="TUE",A7="WED",A7="THU",A7= "FRI"),D7="DEFECT"),1,0)

There is probably something shorter and easier. but it eludes me right
now

HTH

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563441

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The answer that you had sent worked, Thanks. If that was the out come for
one day and I wanted to add a string of days would I place the whole equation
in parentheses and combine them with + signs?

"Bearacade" wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to do on a bigger picture.. but the
formula would be:

=IF(AND(OR(A7="MON",A7="TUE",A7="WED",A7="THU",A7= "FRI"),D7="DEFECT"),1,0)

There is probably something shorter and easier. but it eludes me right
now

HTH

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563441

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Works perfectly. Just copy it from the message and paste it into your
spreadsheet

"cashman" wrote:

Thanks, but it didn't work.

"cashman" wrote:

I am creating a if/then formula that will look at a cell in column A that
contains either one of the following day notations MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI,
SAT, SUN, or HOL. If the date is between any non holiday weekday it should
be included in a count. The second part of the if/then statement includes
the choice between OK and DEFECT. I am trying to count only the defects that
happen during non holiday dates for entire month. I have written the
following formula for a single day but have had no luck. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

=IF((($A7=MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI)=AND($D7=DEFECT)),1,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It works for me.

I've never seen the curly brackets used that way before. Usually they are
inserted automatically when you do an array formula with ctrl-alt-enter.
Can they be used anywhere you want to use a list of possible values?

--
Carlos

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Works perfectly. Just copy it from the message and paste it into your
spreadsheet

"cashman" wrote:

Thanks, but it didn't work.

"cashman" wrote:

I am creating a if/then formula that will look at a cell in column A

that
contains either one of the following day notations MON, TUE, WED,

THU, FRI,
SAT, SUN, or HOL. If the date is between any non holiday weekday it

should
be included in a count. The second part of the if/then statement

includes
the choice between OK and DEFECT. I am trying to count only the

defects that
happen during non holiday dates for entire month. I have written

the
following formula for a single day but have had no luck. Can anyone

point me
in the right direction?

=IF((($A7=MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI)=AND($D7=DEFECT)),1,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carlos -

I'm far from an expert on where & when you can use the curly brackets.
Harlan Grove is the one to whom you should pose your question. He seems to
have an encyclopedic knowledge about their use.

Duke

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Works perfectly. Just copy it from the message and paste it into your
spreadsheet

"cashman" wrote:

Thanks, but it didn't work.